Summer Theater Camp
Rocky Mountain Theater for Kids is offering a unique full scholarship this year to several African-American and latino students interested in performing in Hairspray Jr at our summer performing arts camp. No Experience necessary. Come sing, act and dance while telling a story that tributes the fight for equality in 1960’s America.
Recipients will be granted a complete tuition fee waiver. For more information or to apply call our front office at 303–245–8150. Camps run June 26-July 7 in Boulder.
Does not apply to currently enrolled students. Denver scholarships are full and no longer available.
Session 2: Hairspray Jr. IN BOULDER
AGES 8 – 14
Camp Dates: June 26 – July 7 (2 weeks). No Camp July 4.
Auditions: Sun, June 11
(auditions are to determine parts; all campers get a part)
Performances: July 8 (Sat)
The 1950s are out, and change is in the air! Hairspray JR. is the family-friendly musical piled bouffant-high with laughter, romance and deliriously tuneful songs. Adapted from the Broadway production that won eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Hairspray JR. is a show that brings audiences to their feet with its positive message and uproarious sense of humor.
It’s 1962, and spunky, plus-size teen, Tracy Turnblad, has one big dream – to dance on the popular “Corny Collins Show.” When she finally gets her shot, she’s transformed from social outcast to sudden star. In balancing her newfound power with her desire for justice, Tracy fights to dethrone the reigning Miss Teen Hairspray, Amber von Tussle, and integrate a TV network in the process.
How WE’RE DIFFERENT from other theater camps!!
- We produce top notch youth theatre and a strong community. We train our actors to work as a team. Ensemble work accompanies all the work we do and the students thrive on it!
- We do more than just put on a show. We train our students to think outside the box, make unique creative choices, and understand the tactics and objectives of their characters.
- We hire only professional theatre staff. Our teachers are theatre professionals with professional performance experience as well as a B.A. and/or M.A. in theatre. All our teachers are trained by us with a passion for the performing arts.
- We are an equal opportunity program and there are no student “stars”! Each student has an equal shot at the part of their choice.
- Low student-teacher ratio of 10:1 or less! We achieve a lot in a short time and do so by keeping our programs well-staffed with a low student-teacher ratio. Does not apply to one week camps.